Tongabezi Lodge is located upstream of Victoria Falls. It is considered to be one of the most romantic destinations on Earth; the New York Times went to the extent of saying that the lodge's Honeymoon Suite was worth getting married for!
Started by an Englishman, Ben Parker, in 1990, Tongabezi Lodge also offers a selection of houses and cottages, each beautifully furnished using local fabrics. Guests sleep with the Zambezi close to their feet in the riverside rooms such as the Bird House, the Dog House and the Honeymoon Suite.
Tongabezi Lodge also offers some exciting adventure activities. One such is a trip to Livingstone Island, which is the place from where the mighty Victoria Falls was first spotted. The lodge organizes tea and lunch, and guests can indulge in some swimming by jumping into a rock pool in the middle of the Zambezi, right beside a 100 m drop! It is also a perfect destination for honeymoons, weddings and special celebrations. Guests are also welcome to stay on the lodge's private island, Sindabezi, which is an exclusive camp on the Zambezi.
At Tongabezi Lodge, guests can enjoy innumerable facilities to make the stay special and comfortable. Included are a range of activities such as:
- a trip to Victoria Falls, one of the seven Natural Wonders of the World
- a trip to Mosi-oa-Tunya Game Park, which is home to Zambia's only white rhino, including birds and other wildlife
- island lunch, which involves taking a boat to a nearby deserted island for a luxurious picnic
- sunrise and sunset boating; these cruises are one of the best ways to experience the mighty Zambezi
- canoeing - guides will accompany guests on an exploration of the waterways close to Sindabezi
- guided walks, where a personal guide will help guests explore the falls and gorges
- fishing - a wonderful way to explore the river
- relaxation at Sindabezi, during which guests can enjoy their own private view of the Zambezi
- guided museum tours to learn about Zambia's culture and history
- a visit to Tujatane School, where guests spend time with the children of the Tongabezi Trust School, a short walk from the lodge
- a visit to Maramba market to experience the ‘people's market' of Livingstone - a real slice of Zambian life
- a visit to the local village; guests are taken by vehicle or on a guided bicycle tour.